Extension is one of the important mandates of the Sher-e- Kashmir University of Agricultural Sciences and technology of Jammu. The Directorate of Extension Education, is taking care of the farm advisory services in the villages surrounding the headquarter campus of the university and at different districts through Krishi Vigyan Kendra (KVKs). The responsibility for planning, organizing, conducting and coordinating the extension education activities of the university in the Jammu region of Jammu & Kashmir State lies with the Directorate of Extension Education. Its main aim is to transfer the well proven/tested technologies to the farmers, livestock owners, rural youth, field staff of State Govt. and other personnel engaged in developmental and professional activities in the fields of agriculture, animal husbandry, horticulture, home science and other allied areas through its well planned, skill-oriented and need based programmes. The Directorate acts as bridge between the research scientists and the farmers and other stakeholders to provide feed back. Therefore, the role of the Directorate is two fold, i.e., transfer of technologies from scientists to the ultimate users i.e. farmers through field functionaries and to find out the problems of the field to be passed on to various research divisions of Faculty of Agriculture, Faculty of Veterinary sciences & A.H. Farm Science Services (FAS) is the major wing and field arm of the Directorate of Extension Education covering the entire Jammu Division through Krishi Vigyan Kendras (KVKs) located in various districts of Jammu Division. The scientists working in these KVKs have a direct contact with farmers and render the necessary advice about the crops and livestock production and protection, soil and water management, child care, family and farm resource management etc at their door steps. The functional setup of the Directorate has been oriented to face the traditional and new challenges emerging on day to day basis so that the farmers and the field functionaries are benefited.
The various programmes executed by the Directorate are:
- Krishi Vigyan Kendras (Farm Science Centers): These innovative science based institutions have been established mainly to impart vocational skill training to farmers and field level extension workers not only in agriculture and allied sectors but also in other income generating activities that may supplement the income of farm families. The training programmes are designed to impart the latest knowledge to the farmers through work experience by applying the principles of 'Teaching by doing' and 'Learning by doing'. The staff of KVK is fully associated with the extension activities of the University, however as per the requirement the resource persons from Faculty of Agriculture & Faculty of Veterinary Sciences are associated for the extension activities of concerned KVK. Presently there are six KVKs are working under SKUAST Jammu.
- Zonal research and extension advisory committee (ZREAC): ZREAC is a mandatory activity of the Directorate besides organizing monthly workshops at all the district headquarters, in which the extension personal of the agriculture, horticulture and allied departments participate, for ZREAC is organized before the onset of Kharif and Rabi seasons. Before the onset of Kharif, the ZREAC meetings are held at Zone I, II and III, whereas Rabi ZREAC is held at university campus. During the meeting of ZREAC, officers of the development departments and scientists from the university deliberate to finalize the recommendations for dissemination.
- T&V monthly workshops: The broad based extension programme incorporating the farm advisory services has been pursued by the routine monthly visits of resource persons to different district headquarters. ZREAC and monthly workshops provide an excellent linkage with the agricultural development departments.
- Kissan Melas: The university also organizes Kissan Melas, regularly. SKUAST of Jammu organized three days’ Kissan Mela at Main Campus, Chatha, wherein Sh. MI Khandey, IAS Principal Secretary to Government, Agriculture Production Department, J&K Government was the chief guest.
- Trainings: Trainings are perpetual activity of this Directorate since its inception. It organizes different type of training courses for the officers and field functionaries of Development Departments. These are based on the principle of Learning by doing so as to make them effective in transfer of technology by updating their knowledge and skill. The main emphasis of holding such training courses was to acquaint the participants in the following areas:
- Agricultural technologies and allied fields
- Recent research innovation
Assessment and refinement of technologies and farming practices; & Communications skills
Directorate of Extension Education in collaboration with the divisions in the faculty of agriculture organizes "Model Training Courses", which are sponsored by the Directorate of Extension (Department of Agriculture and Cooperation), Ministry of Agriculture, Government of India and MANAGE, Hyderabad. In these training programmes, extension personnel's from different states participate. In these training programmes the experts from the faculty of agriculture and from other organizations from within and outside the state are the resource persons for imparting quality training
- Information & Publications: To disseminate agriculture technologies to farming community university undertakes number of activities like T.V and Radio talks of scientists and publishing package of practices, pamphlets, leaflets, booklets and informative messages for the overall benefit of the farming community. The Directorate publishes "Package of Practices" for Rabi and Kharif crops annually. In addition to this the Directorate has published "Package of practices" for vegetable crops and Horticulture crops. These packages provide universities recommendations.